The Masters 2 MSROE program is jointly accredited by Université Paris-Est Marne-la-Vallée and École des Ponts ParisTech. Although focusing on Geotechnics, it can fairly claim to work at the overlap between mechanical engineering and civil engineering, with its emphasis on the modelling of the behavior of materials, structures and their environment, an overlap moreover reflected in joint computational codes.
The builder’s art is becoming an increasingly stimulating field of expertise, with the diminishing numbers of “easy” sites, the need for development planning at urban and regional level, international competition, and society’s environmental expectations.
Reflecting these requirements, the MSROE Masters program trains people in effective geotechnical modelling skills, with a focus on aspects where current and future industrial demand is high, such as urban development and development in difficult environments, geotechnics associated with pollution, waste, and major risks, and more generally the protection of the environment.
These spheres of application, characterized by their difficult conditions, require developments in research topics such as:
- adjustment to major topological disparities, contingencies, and the regionalization of errors and uncertainty;
- real behavior of materials under complex loads;
- interactions and couplings (solids, liquids, gases);
- validation of codes and procedures, reidentification of parameters, inverse problems.
- Degree that reflects high industrial demand
- Inter-establishment teaching staff with several specialists of international repute
- Combination of theory and practice
- Wide range of internships and theses
- Links with industry
The specialism can lead equally to immediate entry into employment and to PhD research.
It provides openings for:
- research careers in major research institutions, research centers, university research departments;
- research and development careers in companies, and careers in engineering and consultancy.
The technological fields particularly concerned are:
- Civil Engineering buildings and structures
- the water and environment industries
- waste management
- natural risks
- engineering and technical consultancy.