SUPPORT AND ORIENTATION SERVICES AT ÉCOLE DES PONTS PARISTECH
a) Prior to arrival in France
- Support and guidance to help them prepare their stay : information on courses, residence conditions, life at the School and in France, etc.
- Access to the bilingual platform of Feel Français, our partner specializing in services to international students : information on administrativeactions to be undertaken before and after the arrival in France, information on campus life ...,
b) After arrival in France : welcome meeting and orientation week:
- Welcome sessions, with presentations of the School and its organisation, and a visit of the campus
- Assessment of students' level in French and English
- Presentation of the mentoring program set up by Ponts Alumni (Ecole des Ponts ParisTech alumni association) under which a student is supported by a mentor (School graduate) who can help him both in adapting to France and on academic and professional issues.
- Contacts with the academic departments and finalization of the study contract
- Prsentation of the Students' Union, which organizes for international students, when conditions allow it, a welcome party (BBQ) and a picnic in an iconoc place of Paris
SERVICES ASSOCIATED WITH THE DIFFERENT ADMINISTRATIVE PROCEDURES
Access by foreign students to the School’s housing stock. In order to help its students find accommodation, École des Ponts ParisTech has signed agreements with several student residences, both in Champs sur Marne and in Paris. International students have access to this accommodation.
Administrative support for international students
Ecole des Ponts ParisTech has strenghtened its services with its partner Feel Français to help international students with the admnistrative duties, such as visa (first request, validation and renewal), mandatory health insurance, housing and liability insurances, opening a bank account, phone, transportation card and access to housing allowance.
SERVICES ASSOCIATED WITH SPECIFIC TEACHING AND TUTORSHIP ARRANGEMENTS
Intensive French courses before program start and over the year:
Students whose level of French on admission is below B2 (DELF criteria) are provided with an intensive French course lasting around 3 weeks, before the start of the degree program. In addition, courses in “French as a foreign language” are offered throughout the year at École des Ponts ParisTech so that students can continue to improve their grasp of the language.
Special seminar in mathematics and mechanics:
French engineering programs are characterized by a high mathematics and mechanics content, which can sometimes lead to differences between the levels attained by international students in these subjects and the knowledge needed to follow second and third year classes in the engineering program comfortably. International students whose level was judged insufficient by the École des Ponts admissions panel follow a five-day seminar that takes place before the beginning of the engineering program.
Other specific educational arrangements:
- Introduction of a special law module designed for international students.
- Individual language classes in French and English for students who are struggling.
- Personalization of student education to meet the degree accreditation requirements of their home university.
- Possibility of taking examinations/assignments in English (for non-degree exchange students).
- Possibility of a so-called “Tandem Language Learning” module, in which two students work together to learn each other’s languages.
SERVICES LINKED WITH PEDAGOGICAL OVERSIGHT OF INTERNSHIPS
At École des Ponts ParisTech, the Career Guidance Service has developped different activities to support students’ transition to the professional world: career guidance workshops, themed lectures (international corporate volunteering, corporate diversity, ethics in business, networking, teamwork, succeeding in international careers), sectoral evenings, etc.
In this sphere, international students receive personal support and coaching: special workshops on finding jobs/internships, on writing resumes and covering letters in French, on the French employment market, on interviewing for jobs, etc.
PARTICIPATION IN STUDENT LIFE
The international section of the School Student Union (BDE - Bureau des élèves), represented by an international student, supports international students by organizing the “Mon binôme” (buddy) program. International students are invited to the Orientation week end (Week-end d'Intégration), which is a unique opportunity to mix with French students. Two thirds of the cost of this week-end are paid by the School.
The BDE also organizes cultural evenings throughout the year, where internaitonal students students are encouraged to present their home countries.